October 26, 2010

Deux Cheese and Green Quiche!

I was having a hankering for quiche last night, and figured what the hell, why don't I try and make my own. Never done it before but how hard can it be? I looked online for recipe after recipe and in every cookbook I own, everyone has their different take on it. One thing I did realize that cream is usually used and anywhere from 2-4 eggs. Since I wanted the richness of cream but not cream I used whole milk and a few dollops of goat cheese to thicken it up. I got a pretty clear consensus that my quiche kicked some major taste bud butt! 

Crust! Prepare a pie crust before you start this, here is my recipe it's pretty simple and the steps can be done while you are sautéing and custarding. Remember you will want to par bake your crust at 400˚ for about 10 min. and let it cool before adding the filling. You can cheat and use a box, but essentially making one from scratch will be about the same amount of time, and you will be putting less unknown ingredients into your body.

What you need for the filling:


1 1/2 C. Whole Milk
Bunch of Spinach
Bunch of Kale or other Green
1 Leek
Pepper
Mushrooms
3 Large Eggs or 4 small
1 Tomato
1 Clove Garlic
1 oz. Goat Cheese
1/2 C. Cheddar (or cheese of choice)
S&P
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
mixed fresh herbs of choice (parsley, thyme, oregano, marjoram, sage)
EVOO


Step 0: Pre-heat oven to 375˚ and start your pie crust.

Step 1: Chop and rinse Leeks and saute in 1 T EVOO, once they are soft add garlic. DON'T BURN!

Step 2: Add Chopped Mushrooms, peppers and greens (cut greens into thin ribbons and rinse well) to the saute pan a pinch of S&P, cook till all of the excess water is out. In the meantime start the custard.



Step 3: The Custard! Gently whisk Eggs, then lightly mix together Goat Cheese, Milk and Herbs S&P and Nutmeg.



Step 4: Building! On a cooled Pie Crust sprinkle some shredded cheese on the bottom, then add sauteed green mixture, more cheese and then the custard. 

crust, cheese, greens, cheese
custard on top
Step 5: Put in oven for 30 min. when the quiche is at the 20min. mark remove and place sliced tomatoes on top, sprinkle with pepper. Put back in oven for the remaining time or until it is brown and firm to the touch.

out of the oven par cooked
par cooked with tomatoes
Step 6: Remove from oven and cool, slice and serve with a salad to someone you love!

cooling
ready to eat!
 and for your listening enjoyment my favorite song about Quiche!



3 comments:

  1. Looks good! Will you be doing any baked goods for the holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a baker, not really in to flour and sugar. But I will be doing a fruit cake for x mas and some interesting thanksgiving stuff

    ReplyDelete