November 2, 2011

San Diego Style Mexican Hot Carrots

I love San Francisco, and I have succumbed to the idea of sf style burritos in tin foil and the weird flat taco thing that you need to eat with chips, however I have a big problem with their idea of hot carrots (or shall I say lack there of). When a taqueria does have them they are most likely from a can with a ratio of 20 jalapeños to 1 carrot- super bummer.....so going over a few recipes and using my San Diego taste buds, I have concocted what I think are the most buenas zanahorias picantes out there!


What you need:
carrots
jalapeños
white onion 
white vinegar
water
mexican dried oregano
red pepper flakes
Salt
Black peppercorns
a lot of crushed raw garlic
bay leafs
dash honey or agave
dash evoo

*all of the measurements are based on my desire for garlic, spicy goodness, so please adjust accordingly. 

Step 1: Slice the carrot at a slant about 1/4" thick, cut onion into 1/4" slices, and slice jalapeños length wise leaving in seeds.






Step 2: The ratio I use for vinegar to water is 2:1, boil just the water and add your sliced carrots for about 1.5 min. remove from water and put in a container, arrange with onions. Leave carrot water in pot and add your vinegar.


Step 3: To the water/vinegar mixture add the remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for about 10min.


Step 4: Pour the hot mixture over the carrots and you are done! 


1 comment:

  1. I am from San Diego and have recently moved up to the Bay Area (south of the City)and I feel your pain. My kids eat Mexican the entire time we visit San Diego because they don't like the Mexican food up here. I am going to try your recipe this weekend... I am so glad that we are not the only ones that miss our Southern CA Mexican food :-)

    Heidi


    Heidi

    ReplyDelete