November 1, 2011

Scallops over Brussels Sprout and Oyster Mushroom Salad

The last time I bought yellow oyster mushrooms I put them in a stir fry and pretty much killed them, they are so delicate that any bit of movement snaps them in half and hides any flavor that they may be coveting...when I was at the farmers market I asked the fungi guy the best way to prepare these and he said that they are great raw (I frowned because I hate raw mushrooms) but also that he liked to prepare them like ceviche...I thought I would give that idea a try, and I am glad I did!


Raw Brussels Sprout Mushroom Salad

what you need:
brussels sprouts
oyster mushrooms (i used yellow)
sweet pepper 
S&P

Dressing:
1T Olive oil
1tsp Honey
1T Lemon juice

Step 1: Slice the brussels sprouts with a mandolin or with a sharp knife.


Step 2: chop the sweet pepper and simply cut mushrooms off of their base.


Step 3: Mix dressing ingredients and toss with salad, put aside for it to marinate.


Scallops

Step 0: Prep Scallops by rinsing and patting completely dry, dust with S&P on both sides.

Step 1: Heat butter in a saute pan, once the butter is light brown in color add scallops on med. to high heat for about 1-2 min. (or until brown and not sticking too much) flip and cook for about 30 sec. remove from direct heat and allow to cook another 30 sec. remove and place on a paper towel. 

Plating:

Add marinated salad, and place seared scallops on top, dress with a mixture of the same dressing mixture as above with some added herbs.


1 comment: